What is the parent carer forum?
The parent carer forum is a group for parent carers of children and young people aged 0-25 with disabilities and/or additional needs. At the heart of the forum’s work is an unwavering belief in the importance of children and young people leading happy, fulfilled lives. We are part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) which joins up the work of forums across the country.
What is it for?
To ensure we have a collective voice recognised with the Local Authority and Health Authorities to effectively inform decisions about resources, services and policies.
The aim of the forum is to represent a diverse range of families in Croydon and work together to empower families to speak up, work in collaboration with the Local Authority/Health and improve the quality of life of families and their children in Croydon. We work collectively, respect each other’s views and experiences and make best use of one another’s skills and resources.
Key responsibilities of the forum
- to facilitate and empower Croydon parents to work in partnership with statutory and voluntary agencies to improve services and develop policies and practices
- to build productive relationships with key decision makers in Croydon
- to ensure accountability of Local Authority under SEND reforms and code of practice (include link to information about reforms/code of practice)
- to raise awareness of unmet needs with key policy makers and service providers
- to identify and feedback problems frequently experienced by families
- to highlight what is going well for families
- to be active parent representatives in local focus/strategy groups including Education, Health and Social Care
- to be trusted by Croydon families as a group who is up to date with local provision and constantly driving change
How can I get involved?
We meet monthly following an agenda which informs Croydon Council’s strategic priorities and reflects what parent carers want to discuss and influence. Membership of the forum is not dependent on being present at meetings. You can be involved even if you aren’t at meetings by doing your own research to feed into the group, by joining the secret Facebook group or by adding your voice to consultations and surveys.
As a member of the forum you will receive training in how to provide constructive representation of a range of issues facing families and strengthen the common voice.
Parent Forum meeting dates in Autumn 2018:
Thursday, 13th September
Wednesday, 26th September - PF Cluster meeting in Greenwich - with other SE London Parent Forums
Wednesday, 3rd October - meeting with David Butler, Head of Education at Croydon Council
Wednesday, 7th November - meeting with Jackie Wright, Passenger Transport comissioner
Wednesday, 21st November - Q&A event with Croydon Heads of: Education, SEND, Children Social Care and Children with Disabilities Service & PiP AGM (Jury's Inn)
Wednesday, 5th December
at the Carers Suport Centre,
26 George Street
Current surveys and consultations
Parent Forum Agendas and meeting notes
Parent Forum Handbook
Parent Remuneration Policy & Claim Form